Thursday, July 7, 2011

Esta Cayendo el Cielo!

Well I wish I had a good reason for not being able to post yesterday.. My friends and I made the very bad decision of eating in the mercado tuesday night and I faced the repercussions THOROUGHLY yesterday!!  I thankfully brought some meds with me though and after getting 14 hours of sleep last night I was feeling fine this morning!  Unfortunately both of my friends were still very sick today and had to stay home from the clinics!

Yesterday and today in the clinic were pretty slow, only seeing 10-15 patients both days.  However,I can honestly say that my Spanish and medical knowledge have greatly increased & I am truly making the most of my time here :)

I did have quite the tragic experience this morning on my ride in a collectivo (the equivalence of a Supershuttle taxi in a corolla= VERY cheap) to el centro de salud.  The driver of my collectivo ran over a completely alive dog.  I believe the dog must have had an injured leg and was squatting on the side of the road and the driver decided to just run it over. While there are TONS of stray dogs EVERYWHERE down here, a dog is still a dog.  Not a single other person in the taxi flinched other than m.  I responded of course by tearing up immensely and vomiting out the window.  When I asked the doctor about it when i arrived he said that it wasn't that big of a deal... that there were dogs everywhere and that happened frequently.. EWWWWWW..

 So I decided that I was in need of an immense amount of beach therapy this afternoon and met my friend for a cold chelada to cure myself.


I feel the need to mention some wonderful food that I ahve had so far:
tacos dorados: look like a taquito but taste SOOO GOOD!!!!
caramBollo: basically starfruit- it grows on a tree in the yard de mi host family and it very refreshing!
cheladas: mexican beer mixed with a cup of lime juice and salt
fish tacos: SOOO YUMMY by the beach!!

Last but not least- "Esta cayendo el cielo"= "the sky is falling down" which is the equivalent to "it's raining cats and dogs" in the USA! It rains every day here around 6pm which is quite refreshing, although today esta cayendo el cielo the whole day!! Otherwise it is SOOOOOO HOT and HUMID! So I thoroughly enjoy my overhead fan while I'm falling asleep :)

Buenas noches!
Bee

No comments:

Post a Comment