Monday, July 11, 2011

Ojala las olas!!

 This weekend wonderfully exciting from start to finish..  I joined the other medical students for a night out on friday by Zicatela (the famous beach for surfing) and boy do those meds students like to let loose!  I did enjoy myself and even got to learn a little bit of salsa dancing.  Saturday morning i was brutally awoken by my bed shaking back forth.. There was a minor earthquake happening!  No damage was done or anything but that sure is an odd way to woken up!  I was able to skype with the fam back at home and then made my way to the beach for a swim to cool off.  That night I went to watch the semi-finals basketball game of a friend of mine and had a lot of fun learning the different call-outs and rules for basketball down here!  It was also a great place for me to make some local friends :) 
Sunday was fairly uneventful as I spent most of the day at la Punta reading and studying my spanish.  Later on in the afternoon I headed to Zicatel to watch all of the crazy surfers out catching the INSANE waves (olas) last night.  My friend Jeremy has a waverunner and thankfully was out riding the waves and helping the surfers make it past the forceful current.  There is a very large population of Australians at this beach primarily for the surf and one of them, a young boy named Lucas, decided to take on the waves.  There was a huge crowd that gathered to watch the surf and after riding a few grat waves, Lucas got taken under hard and had a massive wave collapse on him.  We all watched and waited what seemed like forever for him to resurface and when he finally did, Jeremy was there to rescue him.  When he made it onto the beach he was coughing up massive amounts of foamy blood and said that he heard something pop hard in his chest and felt that he couldn't breathe out of his right lung.  I suspected he may have perforated his lung and that he should seek attention immediately.  He made it to the hospital and my diagnosis was correct!  I did receive word this morning that he is doing fine and has been discharged from the hospital.  I assume that though he is not to do arduous activities for a few weeks he will be back out on the surf by next week :)
Other than that it was a great weekend and I look forward to checking out a beautiful lagoon next weekend with some friends that I met.  I head to Bajos de Chila tomorrow to work at their centro de salud and I am hoping for much more hands on activity and many more babies... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment