Monday, July 18, 2011

One Dengue crazy week...

Well this has been a crazy week, to say the least!  The first day at the clinic went pretty well though I was bored and frustrated about not doing much mama/baby stuff.  On tuesday after a long day of prenatal check-ups etc, I came home to quite the fiasco at my homestay.  Long story short, I was sick of their dogs as they were always nipping at me and just NOT nice in addition to a multitude of other things and so along with the couple who lived next to me, I moved out!  It was a lot of crappy drama that I for sure wish I had never been exposed to, but I am happy to report that I am now living safely and happily at a house much closer to my language school and the beach with a very nice young couple, Bety y Jeremy (who is a Hawaiian native) and their son Kaby (my mexican hijo :).  They are renting a cute little house for the month that I am here and I feel much safer and comfortable there with them!
In terms of clinical stuff this week wasall about the DENGUE!  Dengue (pronounced dang) is a sort of fever similar to Malaria that is transmitted through the bite of a mosquito and there is no cure for it.  While it can kill you, it is much more treatable when caught as early as possible.  Down here though, they just don't take it seriously though as we had 3 patients in one day come in miserable from it!  I did get some good practice because of this in terms of starting ivs and doing blood draws but it is quite terrifying to do with no gloves... As they were not seen as necessary by the nurse!  Other than all the dengue patients I did a lot of well-baby kind of checkups, PKU testing on newborns and a lot of teaching on diarrhea... LOVELY I know :)  though that is one heck of a problem down here especially with the kids!
The most stressful thing this week overall (other than the whole moving thing) was doing the first prenatal consults with 13, 16, and 17 yo girls.  They all were the same- they would come in normally with a friend giggling and not serious at all and they would leave crying as they had finally realized what was ahead of them.  It was very difficult to see these poor little girls get a grip of wha they had really gotten themselves into!

No comments:

Post a Comment