Monday, July 4, 2011

First Day en El Centro de Salud de Manialtepec

Well today has been an adventure for sure!  I woke up at 7 and had breakfast with the host family then headed out to the clinic, El Centro de Salud de Manialtepec, a 35 minute ride from where I am staying.  The taxi rides here are much differnt tho in that they are more of a caravan.  They all have signs for where in general they are heading and they will stop to cram as many as 8 people into the teeny tiny Toyota corollas that have got to be twice my age (LOVELY!!).  Regardless, they are very cheap ($13 pesos= $1.30US) and get me to where I need to go! Upon arriving to the 2 room centro de salud, I met Dr. Argenis Mata Hernandez who is the only doctor in town.  The front of the office was nto run by any sort of medical personnel, rather children from the town (ages 12-18).  There were no nurses at this particular clinic though I am told that they do exist in other clinics down here.  My partner Valeria adn I proceeded to spend the next few hours with the doctor as he saw all of the patients before he took his lunch.  I honest to goodness saw everything today from an entire family with scabies to older patients with diabetes and hypertension as well as several pregnant women (mujeres embarazadas).  I have now seen stitches removed, measured fundal heights and even assited with a cortisone shot to a woman's foot for her plantar fasciitis (down here its fascio plantar).  Based off of the overwhelming warm and welcoming people that I have worked with so far, I can say that I am definitely in a very safe and welcoming area of Mexico and will without a doubt be seeing some of the most fascinating things in my career in nursing.  






















I am with a group of 10 other med students from Northwestern University who are pretty cool for the most part.. ew doctors ;) .. and we plan on heading down to the Cafecito for a little celebration of the 4th though I sure am missing the BBQ's and fireworks back home.  I will console myself with a quick swim in the beautiful ocean and an ice cold Chelada.  Hope you are all having a wonderful fourth back at home!

Cheers!
Bee

No comments:

Post a Comment