Monday, July 18, 2011

iLe presento a su hijo hermoso!

Well to sum it up this was basically the BEST DAY EVER!!!! I had my first day in the hospital and got to help out on 2 births!!!! So my baby count is up to 2!!!!  The doctors at this hospital are incredibly welcoming and these next two weeks are bound to be amazing.
The first woman that was ready to give birth came in ready for her c-section.  The doctor actually let me scrub in and hold clamps and such!  It was absolutely wonderful and the young couple (married and both 20) were so adorable!  They had a son and still haven't chosen a name but I will always remember the both of them and how incredible the experience was!  During the c-section everyone in the OR was so relaxed and I laqughed as we listened to a Coldplay cd as per the doctor's request!
The next woman was only 19 years old and she came in all by herself this morning at 4am.  I was instructed on how to measure how dilated she was and upon doing so realized that she was completely dilated and ready to push!  She was clearly extremely scared though and crying and here in Mexico if a woman is not composed and is crying or screaming then the doctor will ont take her in to give birth.  They require that the woman is as calm as possible before they will give her the time of day.  So I spent the next 5 or so minutes helping her breathe and having her squeeze my hand to calm down.  When she got into the delivery room it hardly took one push and her beautiful baby girl was out!  It was au natural- a delivery without any sort of epidural or pitocin and the mama, Erika's mood completely changed as soon as she saw that she had a baby girl!  It was an incredibly moving experience and I spent the next hour tending to her before I left!
 
A few things that I noticed today include:
-They don't have (can't afford to have) pressure stockings for the patients down here so they instead tightly wrap tape around the patient's calves and feet. 
-Tegaderms don't exist down here- just gauze and tape over everything!
I had an absolutely wonderful day and feel like I'm on cloud nine and hope to have many more births to report tomorrow :)
Buenas noches!
Brigida

No comments:

Post a Comment