Monday, July 18, 2011

Holy hurricane batman!

This weekend was absolutely wonderful at las lagunas de Chacahua!  We left for this National Park on saturday morning and had to take about 1 1/2 hours worth of taxis to the lancha which was a boat that drove us through the lagoons to the lovely island of chicahua.  Chicahua is an island that was actually originally started by african people who landed there after escaping slavery.  So that was a much different looking Spanish-speaking crowd to mingle with.  Unfortunately there was a hurricane going on all weekend so not only were the beaches very torn up and dirty looking, but we never actually got to go on the beach!  But no worries I had TONS of fun meeting a few locals and lots of bummed out surfers and eating deliciously fresh-caught seafood!  I am happy to report that I have made it back safely now and free of any sort of illness ; ) While on the island I went over to meet a friend of my host dad's named Tim who is originally from South Africa and now lives in the house he built himself with his wife and 11yo son Sebastian.  Sebastian (though he is only 11) is already ranked as #14 in his age group of surfers world-wide!  It was wonderful spending all day saturday relaxing in his hammocks and talking about everything under the sun!
I'm off to the el Hospital Laperota tomorrow which is the newest hospital to Puerto and I can't wait to hopefully get to some much faster paced stuff! I hope to get back to posting  more frequently as well so see you soon!
Bee

No comments:

Post a Comment